WhatsApp just announced a new exciting feature that allows you to share your live location with friends.
Yesterday, the Facebook-owned messaging app introduced its new feature “Live Location Sharing” that would keep its 1billion users engaged for a longer time.
WhatsApp already provides you the option to share your current location (like your country or city), but that option is just for once.
The key point about the live location option is that it updates your location, destination by destination. Your friends would be able to track your movement. And you can also choose the time duration for how long your location is visible.
“Live location is a way to share your location in a chat and the participants in that chat will then be able to see your real-time location as it updates on a map. [It’s] short-term in nature, it’s limited in duration,” Zafir Khan, Product Manager at WhatsApp.
The best part about this feature is that you can decide who sees your location. It is shared at chat level, means you can share your location in a conversation or a group chat.
How to activate it?
- Once your app updates, you’ll find a new option called “Share Live Location”.
- After selecting that option you’ll set the time duration.
- Then you’ll go to the conversation where you want to share your location. You will find the “location” option by clicking the ‘attach’ (paperclip) button that appears in the messaging field.
- A map will appear in the chat with your location on it.
- You will stop sharing your location anytime by selecting the “stop sharing” option.
If you are in a group chat where several other friends are sharing their location, you all will appear on the same map.
This update would also help you to guide your friends to any specific location. You can easily give them directions by observing their movement on the map.
The “live-location sharing” feature would be very helpful for safety purposes too, like in a disaster or any other threatening situation.
This update will be available for Android and iOS users within weeks.
Well, thanks to WhatsApp you can now easily let your friends know where exactly you are without calling or texting them. That means there would be no worried parents and partners anymore.